Friday, May 1, 2009

This Too Will Pass


The semester is coming to an end and as I look back on it so many things seemed to be in an upheaval. Way too many things have become unstable. My children and spouse lost their jobs, causing our family to go without health care coverage. The College I work for is crunching their budgets down. Tax's are on the increases. Our bank has implemented a policy of Maxi Fee's driving us to look for another financial institution. We’re off again this weekend to take care of my mother-in-law. Last week it was the grandchildren and next week it will be something or someone else demanding my attention. It’s hard to find a moment for myself it seems. And on top of this we now are wondering if a pandemic is coming. We are always manipulating things so we can make the mortgage or car payment. Thank God we only have three more payments and our credit will be paid off. I've never known a time in my life when so many problems have seemed to pile up. It can seem very overwhelming. And what’s more is that everyone I talk to seems to be living on the knife edge of financial or emotional failure too. Stress is at an all time high among my associates and my staff. Now add to the list the driving desire to transition and watching your and opportunity turn into something that looks like dry salt flats in the Mohave Desert.

Well, if this describes what you’re going though take a deep breath and close your eyes for a moment. ....... Ok now that you’ve opened you eyes back up so you can continue reading let me ask, what did you hear? Was if the whirring fans of a ventilation system? How about a robin outside or a dog barking down the street. Or maybe it was the conversation of others around you. Whatever it was, I can assume that your life has continued and that moment has passed into history. Life continually moves forward with time, and as it does so the moments pass; then the minutes pass, and the hours, days and finally the trials and problems that we are currently facing will pass too. Before we know it they will be distant memories that we will draw upon for wisdom and encouragement. I’ve observed this with many of the folks here on our internet community. I’ve read as they were frustrated with their situation while in transition and now today they are content and moving forward with great expectations. There was a time when folks like us in New Hampshire could face arrest for using the wrong potty for our politically acceptable gender. But now that has passed into history and today we can step into the appropriate stall to take care of our personal business, without the fear of it becoming someone else’s business.

No one wants to go through suffering, whether it is physical discomfort or emotional anxiety. That feeling of being in the wrong skin seems to nag at my mind endlessly. It has been a long time since I’ve been able to be out as myself. But I take great joy in knowing that it will not always be so. That this too will pass. With each small step and passing moment of anguish I move closer to a place of hope. As one endures the pain of electrolysis, the judgmental glares of people or the loss of friends or family, and volatile emotions that come with changing our bodies; comfort can be found in that hope. But why wait for the future. I’ve learned to quiet the raging that comes from within my soul and be content in whatever state I’m in. My flesh and soul are brought into subjection to my mind. And my mind is subject to the Spirit, so that I might be able to reach out and hug those who are going though what I already have endured, encouraging them to know that whatever they are experiencing at the time; this too will pass.

Hugs
Roanne